Friday 29 June 2012

I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite blog on the Citadel


I don't even know where to start, so we'll start at the beginning. So, I like to cosplay, but I'm really bad at it. Halfassed cosplays started in September. But this time I decided I was going to break the pattern and make the best cosplay I've ever made! And that means Shepard.

Because I love Mass Effect. Like, I really love Mass Effect. Like holy shit Shepard why are you so cool. If I weren't already a raging lesbian you would make me question my sexuality. (Sheploo does not exist in my universe, just so you know. Sometimes I forget you can even play as male Shepard.)

So, Shepard. I spent a week or so trying to figure out where I could even get EVA foam from- that is Ethylate Vinyl Acetate (I thiink) cloased cell foam, used for flooring mats, camping mats, you name it, they use EVA for it.

I eventually found some on trademe- which turned out to be listed from Hammer Hardware in Te Atatu. Ha! So, I picked up a 4pack of foam mats for $20. Not baad.
My next  mission was to find some templates or, erk, design some of my own. Thankfully the 'Replica Prop Forum' aka my new favorite place on the internet had some handy dandy tempates ready to scale and print.


I had some issues with the scaling- the templates didn't really seem right to me- they felt waaay too squat, but I rolled with it, assuming that that was how it was supposed to be.
 
Still looking somewhat squat.. but I trusted in it, cut the pieces out, heat molded them and let them sit for a day while I fully skylarked.


And then I came home the next day, made a couple of revisions and glued the bits together.


Hey look, now I have a derpy front piece!
I need to get my hands on a dremel to sort the markings out, and I'm considering reforming it when I can get my hands on a heat gun or some such (come ooon tax refund!) but for now, I'm satisfied enough to move onto the next piece. 


This first piece has taught me a lot though, I think next time I will try and heatform all of the pieces together so I don't get any weird buckling, and make sure they are cut more exactly to each other. Watch where I'm hot glueing, and make sure not to make too much of a mess of that haha.


Anyway, you live and you learn! I won't be surprised if I end up redoing this piece at the end.


No comments:

Post a Comment